Thursday, 17 February 2011

Creature Magazine


About a month ago I responded to a tweet in which Creature Magazine asked for illustrators to take part in a possible collaboration with a poet and create imagery for a series of six poems.  I was selected along with five other illustrators and was given the fourth poem.  The poet in question is Benjamin Macnair. This is the poem and accompanying illustration:


PROCRASTINATION

The warning sign
is on the door.
In a waiting room,
you don’t know how long,
you will be waiting for,
with last year’s Woman’s Own,
Children kicking their seats,
a man with a nasty cough,
and none of his original teeth,
peeling wallpaper,
fading paint,
and a creeping sense of Déjà vu,
until your name is called,
and your own shadow
follows you through.

Procrastination by Matilde Sazio


It was a great project to be part of, good practice for the book I am working on at the moment and fascinating to see how each of us interpreted Ben's poetry.  You can see the published work of my fellow illustrators here for Part 1 and here for Part 2. A big thank you to Creature for the opportunity.

LITTLELEGSDESIGNS@GMAIL.COM

1 comment:

  1. I think your interpretation is brilliant Matilde - so heavy with a feeling of dread and bleakness but also the shabbiness of life, which is how I read the poem too. Makes me shiver ... x

    ReplyDelete